Tuesday, April 15, 2008

flex sensors don't solder


So for our wearable computing project I was planning on using two flex sensors to measure how straight someone's back was. Using this information you could have a tiny led that would light up on a person's wrist near their watch whenever they did not have proper posture.
they were loose so the professor suggested soldering for the finished project. I successfully soldered both of the sensors to the wires, or so I thought. After placing the sensors I put the shirt on. When I hooked the arduino board up to my laptop I was getting no values from the sensors. When I took the shirt off this is what I saw. ForI ended up taping sensors to the wires for the first iteration of the project comparison a 'good' sensor looks like this.


Now although this happened to both of them the other one was in slightly better shape. So I attempted to superglue the wiring to it. This was by far not my best idea.

The results don't look that bad. However they do not get any consistent reading. This has led me to realize that it is a good thing I do software for a living

No comments: